Infinity Goods tagged for the 7 (or sometimes 8) things about me meme. I was picked because of my photographs of Caligula the cat. Rather than redo the things about me meme again, I will post facts about Caligula instead.
1. Caligula the cat is in fact named for the "crazy Roman Emperor" as so many folks ask me. Those who know a little latin comment on how appropriate it is that she is named "Little boots."
All of my husband's cats have been named for Roman emperors and when I asked to get a cat, he said we could but he wanted to keep the naming tradition going.
2. Caligula is a calico cat. All calico cats, except for chimeras, are female. The orange and black colors on cats are carried on the X chromosome. So the only way to get orange and black colors on a single cat is to have two X chromosomes (and therefore be female).
The white color is not carried on the X chromosome. An orange and red cat with no white is called a tortoiseshell. With white, it's a calico.
3. Caligula is 12 years old. We got her in December of the year that we were first married. I guess she was my wedding gift from my then new husband. Caligula's birthday is ten days after Harriet's.
4. Caligula has been very patient with both children but she and Harriet have always been especially close.
5. Like her namesake, Caligula has a certain fondness for horses. She likes to watch them when we take her to "cat camp" over the holidays. She stays at Shamrock Ranch in Pacifica, a place that boards pretty much any four legged animal but they specialize in cats and dogs.
6. Caligula is the first cat I've owned with yellow eyes. I know it's a fairly common color but my previous cats have all had green eyes. It was the one feature about her that I really had to get used to.
Caligula is also the first calico cat I've ever owned.
7. We adopted Caligula from the Pasadena Humane Society. We didn't pick her; she picked us. She bopped me on the elbow by sticking her paw out through the cage. I took that as a sign that she wanted to go home with us.